The Open Leader MethodTM is our unique leadership programme for leaders in IT. The programme offers a deep and focused experience, developed to help you engage your team, navigate uncertainty and step forward together.
We offer the programme both in-house (minimum 4) and in an open, public format.
Overview of The Open Leader MethodTM
The Open Leader MethodTM programme comprises five core focuses that are critical to creating and maintaining successful teams in complex IT.
If you’re not clear about where you’re going, how will you be able to make it clear to others? Without clarity, teams won’t take ownership, there’s a high risk of waste and ultimately you won’t achieve as much.
When you work in complex, uncertain environments, you will make mistakes, experience failures and get assumptions wrong. That’s normal. But how you and your team communicate, collaborate and respond will stand you apart.
A great team can deliver amazing results. That’s easy to say, but how do you get the best talent to join your team? How do you keep up with the skills you all need? How do you unify short-term or part-time teams?
Change is happening all the time; you might be creating change or handling the impact of change to your approaches, culture and rhythm. Humans are great at change if they are engaged and the environment is right.
There are always opportunities to be more efficient. With the right approach, you can cut the time and resources needed to do many things, but why stop there? With more energy available for value creation, what will you do?
What makes this programme different?
Another management training course? No, not quite.
We all want to get our teams to perform at their best, and we would advocate investment in leadership development to make that happen. In our own careers we’ve attended many management training courses, and they have included some valuable, thought-provoking and practical content. Unfortunately though they’ve often been without context and the result has been one of “spaghetti thrown at a wall”. Great content, but little stuck well enough with delegates to make a difference back at base.
Here are five ways that this programme avoids that outcome:
1) We’ve been there. Our content is written and curated by award-winning IT leaders. We bring real-world experience of building talented teams, leading delivery and operating complex and high-scale computing platforms.
2) We partner with you. We don’t stop our programme at the door of the training room. We stay close to help you embed the practices and learning from our workshops.
3) A community of individuals. We support the group training with individual, 1-2-1 coaching, specific to you and your context to help you clarify your personal goals and reach your potential.
4) On-site time. A classroom can feel miles way from the world back at your desk. We include visits to your place of work, allowing us to observe and feedback in real-time to support you.
5) We assume uncertainty. IT is already one of the most unpredictable and complex sectors, and more change is landing each day. Our content is focused on this challenge and how to navigate through.
Who’s the programme for?
The Open Leader MethodTM is designed for leaders of IT teams. You might be a CTO, a technical manager, an IT director, a development director, a team lead, an operations lead, a COO, a project or programme director. That doesn’t matter. What does matter is that you have:
1) a willingness to learn, and keep learning
2) a desire to improve your skill and results as a leader of people
3) an intent to help your teams go further
Our courses, content and follow up are put together to help you achieve these.
What’s included in the programme?
- 6 x 1 day workshops over 6 months
- 3 x 90 minute, face-to-face coaching sessions with a professional coach
- 2 x half-day visits to your place of work to observe and feedback in realtime
- 5 x 1 hour webinars / online sessions
- Course materials, exercises and tasks to help you focus on your goals
What do we want from you?
1) To lean in. This programme isn’t designed to be entertainment. We want you to get the best results so you’ll need to engage with the content, attempt exercises and follow through back at the office.
2) To be open. Don’t hold back. You’ll get more from the workshops if you share your relevant experiences, insights, and challenges. All workshops are in confidence.
3) To challenge yourself. Exercises we do could step you outside of your comfort zone. As humans that’s often where we need to go to learn, so please embrace it.